22 November 2007

For my American friends



Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't always remember on the day. When I had lived here about six or seven years I was at the office one afternoon, around 13:30 or 14:00, and needed to ring someone at the office in the states. As I didn't remember his or her extension and was too lazy to look it up I rang the switchboard. A rather tired sounding security guard answered rather than the receptionist which I thought odd. When I asked to be connected to whoever I was ringing he replied something to the effect of "I don't think he's in today". Again I thought this odd as there were about 800 staff at headquarters so I insisted that he put me through. I appeared that the guard was right when I eventually ended up on voice mail so I left a message and thought no more about it. I wasn't until the next day, a Friday, that I realised that my colleague hadn't rung me back as the prior day had been Thanksgiving. I think that is when I realised that Britain was now home!

No comments: