19 May 2008

The horns of a dilemma

At first glance I would have assumed that I would wish to support the cause of Crystal Dixon who was sacked from her job at the University of Toledo (US) after she wrote a column dismissive of the fight for gay rights. Irrespective of the fact that I disagree totally with Ms. Dixon's thesis I believe that she has a right to express herself as a private citizen. However after further consideration it is clear that her opinions make her totally unsuitable in her position as a Vice President of Human Resources. So the question is what should have been done. Should she have moved to another position where her homophobia would not be an issue? Demoted to a position where she would have no responsibility for decision making (with appropriate reduction in compensation)?

It is a difficult decision to have to make but I think that the status quo could not have reasonably been maintained.

No comments: