12 May 2008

Living beyond all their means?

Yesterday's papers were full of quotes from Cherie Blair's new book (due out in October) which is being serialised in The Times. The one I found most interesting talked about her anger at Gordon Brown over his refusal to accept a pay rise when first taking office as Chancellor of the Exchequer thereby forcing Mrs. Blair's hubby St. Tony to refuse his as well. The Blairs, despite St. Tony's £110K salary as PM and the missus's around £200K (not to mention the free house and other considerable perks), seemed to be unable to survive on the mere £300 grand they had incoming.

"At the first cabinet meeting of the new Labour government, the new Chancellor announced he was not going to take the salary increase and he put pressure on the others not to accept it either ... I couldn't believe it. All my calculations were based on that increase.

"I remember sitting in the kitchen at Number 10, putting my head in my hands and staring at the now completely redundant financial breakdown, as Tony tried to calm me down. I wouldn't be calmed down. How dare Gordon do that? He was a bachelor living on his own in a flat with a small mortgage."

How dare he indeed!

And speaking of how dare he-s. Today's Times reports that St. Tony rather cynically immediately announced the news of his wife's miscarriage as cover for their delayed holiday plans and to eliminate speculation that the illegal invasion of Iraq was to be pulled forward. What a bastard! But then I believe we all knew that he was, didn't we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The two of them are utterly despicable, worthless excuses for human beings. Words do not suffice to express my contempt for the two of them, and were they to be suddenly removed from existence I would feel nothing but elation. They are vermin.