21 January 2009

One word

My exile in Britain has often been lonely and antagonistic. I have often been called by friends and strangers alike to defend the actions of a country of which I am, and always will be a part, but with which I did not agree.

Today my exile was not longer lonely. I have had emails and phone calls from friends in Britain, Ireland, France,Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, Egypt and Israel. I have finally had a chance to watch the new president's speech for myself.

The one word that was common to all of these contacts, and to my own teary eyed viewing of the speech, was "stirring".

If my and our new president can make America think of itself differently and the world to think of America differently isn't that simply enough.

I think so.

No comments: