30 March 2007

It's official - it's an occupation (or is it?)

"Yes it is" says the Saudi monarch and staunch American ally King Abdullah.

"No it isn't" says the US state department, a loyal friend of the House of Saud and saviour of the Iraqi people.

"Yes it is" says the Iraq President and staunch American ally Jalal Talabani. Or does he? The previous link is from an Iraqi satellite TV station. Elsewhere in the Islamic world media in Iran, the United Arab Emirates and the Lebanon are all reporting that Talabani referred to the US presence as "an occupation" with "dire consequences". Outside of the Islamic world I can only find this reference in France and I don't suppose we are allowed to accept the word of "cheese eating surrender monkeys" as credible, are we?

In Britain I have been able to find no mention of President Talabani's remarks to the Arab League anywhere. Nothing in the Guardian, the Times or the Independent or on the Beeb. I couldn't bring myself to check the Torygraph or the tabloids.

CNN cites an Associated Press report that says that the Iraqi President "bristled at the comment" and used the term "occupation" only to note that it had "negative implications". I can no mention of the remarks on any of the other US news networks (although I couldn't bear to search Faux News) and can't find any reference in the New York Times, the Washington Post or the LA Times. You would think that such left wing bastions would be trumpeting the news from their front pages.

I guess I shall have to rely on someone who speaks Arabic to clarify.

No comments: