11 December 2007

Why I am glad I don't believe in God

Because the God that I don't believe in, who is female by the way, would never, ever take sides in a gun fight. Jeanne Assam, the armed security guard at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs* who is believed to have killed the gunman responsible for the shootings in Colorado on Sunday has "credited the Holy Spirit with keeping her hands steady enough to shoot". Yep. That is definitely not a God I could believe in - if there really were a omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God She could simply have made the gunman's weapon misfire or make him slip into a gentle and calming sleep. That's the God I don't believe in!

*Have I been away from America too long? I don't remember churches having armed security guards when I was last there.

No comments: