24 February 2008

Here we go again

Let me preface this by saying that I neither dislike nor hate Ralph Nader. I think he has quite a lot of good things to say and that I probably agree with him more often than I do with members of either of the so-called "major" parties. Nonetheless until the US Presidential election process is reformed so that a majority, as opposed to a plurality, of the popular vote is required to win his candidacy for the presidency can only harm one party.

Will he make a difference? Quite possibly. If he can take enough Democratic votes in one of the big swing states (Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania) to allow McCain to get the electoral votes the answer is "yes he can".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, that's fine. The Democrats may well lose because Nader pulls some of the Left vote away, and I don't care. The problem is that the Democrats take the Left for granted, because they have no place else to go. If the Left continue to desert the party and cost it elections, maybe they'll finally get the message. Or, maybe, people will start to actually vote for the party they want to win, rather than the party they think will win.

And if McCain gets elected, and the US goes down the shitter, I'll be sitting back with a pint in hand and watching the bonfires on the telly. The sooner, the better for the planet in general.

And with any luck, it'll force the UK to finally choose sides, and maybe we can put a stake through the heart of the 'special relationship' once and for all.

yank in london said...

Despite the fact that I voted in both elections that Jimmy Carter ran for President, only voted for him once and it was the time he lost I am a pragmatist. I don't think we can afford the luxury of ideological purity at the expense of allowing the Republicans to pick federal and Supreme Court judges for another four years.