21 November 2006

All hail Ryan Howard!

I may have lived in Britain for fourteen years and developed a taste for football (played with the feet!) and cricket but I still miss baseball. Today brings glad tidings.

It's been a long time (twenty years) since the Phillies had an MVP but from what little I've seen of him Ryan Howard richly deserves the award. In that time I have gotten married, gotten divorced and emigrated to another country.

I sincerely hope that this bodes well for the future and maybe, just maybe, they can perhaps build a team around him. The power is excellent but it is the batting average that proves to me, at least, that is the real thing. As a third generation Phillies supporter if there are one or two things I have learned it is patience and a healthy dose of fatalism.

Time will tell of course but I remain unrealistically optimistic.

No comments: