27 April 2007

A common sense approach (except for that bit at the end)

Robert Peters, president of (my kind of) Morality in the Media, issued a statement yesterday applauding the FCC's report relating to children and violence in broadcast media. Fair enough. I think we can all agree with that. I think it is hard to argue with the statement that American children are exposed to too much violence (and not enough sex!) on TV. (OK, OK the sex thing is my addition to the argument. I've been watching European TV for fifteen years!) Then just when I think I can agree with all of this the top of his head explodes and madness comes pouring out. Towards the end of his statement we get the following:

Failing that [more activist right wing Supreme Court Justices], the Constitution will have to be amended to clarify that the First Amendment does not prevent government from enacting reasonable legislation to protect children from entertainment that is harmful to them."

I always thought conservatives were supposed to be big on personal responsibility. Whatever happened to parental responsibility, eh?

No comments: