20 November 2006

A lottery no one will want to win

I have mixed emotions about Charles Rangel's call for a reinstatement of the military draft. Although too young for Vietnam I trained and acted as a draft counsellor for several years, helping those so inclined find legitimate (and illegitimate) means to avoid induction. I never registered myself even though they'd stopped drafting by the time I turned eighteen. Fortunately I was pardoned for this transgression by Jimmy Carter.

I do think that the risk that their own children might have to serve in future wars will temper the enthusiasm of many in the electorate. It might have kept us out of Iraq. John Kerry's failed attempt at humour notwithstanding it is disproportionately the economically disadvantaged that make up the bulk of the "volunteer" army. No matter what we do the truly favourite sons will find a way to avoid service.

I do think however that from a strictly political perspective it is the wrong issue at the wrong time for the Democrats. There are many other priorities that need addressing and there is no doubt that the move would prove unpopular. However, like most American males I do wonder what the Bobbsey Twins would look like in uniform.

No comments: