27 February 2007

(Over)eating out

According to the US Center for Science in the Public Interest chain restaurants in the states are acting irresponsibly in making portions ever larger and filled with calories and fat. The Center is calling for legislation requiring all chain restaurants to display nutritional information, including calorie count, on their menus. They even found one burger, at an unnamed chain but you know who you are, called a "Colossal Burger" which contained 1,940 calories (only slightly less then the entire recommended daily amount for a woman) and 141 grams of fat.

I know that when I go out to eat when I am in the states and I am forced to eat at one of these places I generally have only a starter for my entire meal. Even that is often too large a portion for a sensible meal.

No comments: