30 May 2007

The end of the silence

I have refrained from commenting about the tragedy surrounding the abduction of young Madeleine McCann in Portugal largely because I felt I had nothing to add and there was enough sadness already. However as the media circus surrounding the girl's disappearance over the past month I have slowly stirred myself up as her parents, undoubtedly justifiably, use the media in an attempt to keep the case in the spotlight and hopefully ensure her return. Now however I have had enough. Today they have jetted off to Rome to see Il Papa and he has blessed her photograph. Now just exactly how is that supposed to fucking help? Surely even the deranged alleged celibate doesn't believe that will have any impact does he? If so he is madder than I thought. I suppose that should the young girl suddenly be located and returned to her parents when the old German kicks off his supporters can use this as evidence of a "miracle" to propel him on the path to sainthood and a sure reunion with Jerry Falwell wherever Jerry has ended up.

Question: is the Murdoch run newspaper the Times trying to tell us anything by carrying this story on its entertainment page? I thought old Rupert was a good Christian and believe in all this rubbish.

No comments: