31 May 2007

Nineteen and losing

It is with a considerable amount of personal pride that I can say I am a lifelong supporter of the Philadelphia Phillies, as was my father before me and his father before him. We Stringers go all the way back to the beginning in the nineteenth century and we never, ever, ever supported those damn Athletics when they were in town.

It is important that you know that these selfsame Phillies are the losingest team of all time having lost more matches than any other team in any professional sport. The current tally is 9,981 leaving us just 19 losses away from the coveted 10,000. If I were in the states I would give anything to be in attendance on June or at worst July day when the milestone is reached. If it happens in Philly how will the crowd react? Will they boo hits by the home side and cheer runs by the opposition? Will there be a standing ovation? Will ticket stubs from the match become collectors’ items?

I have so many questions.

No comments: