23 September 2006

More (serious) thoughts on the death penalty

I got all excited yesterday when I thought Ms. Malkin had had a change of heart re the death penalty. I think her conversion was insincere as it seems to be based entirely on 1) the religion of the defendants and 2) the religion of the country wherein the trial took place. If she were just consistent like some folks are I wouldn't have had such a problem.

Anyway the Guardian has a feature piece in their magazine section today that suggests the death penalty in slipping in popularity in the states. I think from a distance, largely based on poll results, it may seem that way but I believe that the underestimate how zealous the supporters are. Read it and decide for yourself.

The writer went to Oklahoma to witness an execution. In her description of the process she notes that the executioners are not state employees but volunteers who answered an advert for the position in the local newspaper!

Does anyone else find this appalling? Do you include it on your CV under other interests: Little League Coach, avid tennis player, volunteer executioner? What type of person would volunteer to do this? Should they be under surveillance rather than the rest of us?

Note: this website tells me that my old home state of Pennsylvania also uses "citizen volunteers" as executioners. That makes me feel better! Illinois is also noted as using volunteers but it isn't clear whether they are civilians or corrections staff.

No comments: