07 September 2006

Farewell to Granita

Granita, the Islington restaurant, where Tony Blair and Gordon Brown allegedly struck a deal on the leadership of, as of then, not-yet-new Labour after John Smith died in 1994, closed almost three years ago

With Gordon Brown's statement today perhaps the last vestige of that fabled restaurant has disappeared.

To quote the chancellor:
"I said also to him and I make clear again today that I will support him in the decisions he makes, that this cannot and should not be about private arrangements but what is in the best interests of our party and, most of all, the best interests of our country."



Key phrases being "private arrangements" and "best interests of our party".

If Tony doesn't understand that let me paraphrase it for him:
"I already live at Number 10. Now I want to work there too!"


Latest from the Guardian ticker: " Blair confirms he will resign as PM within a year, but refuses to set precise date. More details soon ..."

I'll bet that's not good enough for Gordon.

I'm really looking forward to the conference now!

No comments: