21 September 2006

The President has been abducted by aliens!

I hope I didn't alarm anyone with the title of this post. It might seem like a headline from the National Enquirrer or the Weekly World News or the title of snarky editoral in the "Librul Media" about the The Decider(TM).

It is none of those.

Meet Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. President of the great Republic of Kalmykia. It isn't mentioned in his official biography as yet but Ilyumzhinov claims that he was abducted seven years ago whilst on a business trip.

"They took me from my apartment and we went aboard their ship," he says, sitting in his office in Kalmykia's capital, Elista. "We flew to some kind of star. They put a spacesuit on me, told me many things and showed me around. They wanted to demonstrate that UFOs do exist."

OK. I hadn't heard of Kalmykia either. (It certainly didn't exist when I took geography back in school.) So I found out a few facts:

It's a republic within the Russian Federation and is the only state in Europe with a Buddhist majority.

It's name in Kalmyk (related to Mongolian) is Khal'mg Tanghch.

It is currently hosting a chess match that will decide on a unified world champion between the "classical" championship and FIDE. (Does this sound anything like boxing to you?)

And yes. Their president has been abducted by aliens!

No comments: