08 September 2006

The trials and tribulations of voting from abroad

It hasn't always been this difficult. I requested my absentee ballot back in June as I had moved since the last election. I was getting worried when I hadn't heard anything back by the middle of August.

Before I contacted Montgomery County Voter Services my voter registration card arrives in the post. However the address to which it had been sent was completely cocked up. UK addresses can be more complicated that US ones but mine is fairly simple; flat number, block name, street name, town, post code. Somehow the election board had left off the street name, town and post code which left only the flat number,block name and the UK. Thanks to the heroics of the Royal Mail it still got delivered although it took six weeks from the posting date.

I sent a letter off to the election board straightaway with my corrected UK address and enclosing a new post card application (in case they needed a new form) and thought that was the end of my difficulties.

This morning I received in the post a write in absentee ballot with instructions that I should use this if I do not receive the printed ballot in time. After closer scrutiny I notice that the ballot is for Ambler ward II and not Bridgeport ward I. The reply envelope also has Ambler II on it - I assume for presorting. So today I've written another letter noting the error and asking for a corrected ballot.

Open questions:

  1. Will I receive a corrected ballot in time?
  2. If not and I vote on the incorrect ballot using the incorrect envelope will my vote be counted?



To make matters worse in the district I should be voting in there's a chance to get rid of Curt Weldon. The Ambler ward is part of district 13 which is Schwartz v. Bhakta where Schwartz, the Democrat, would appear to be reasonably secure. Should I smell a rat?

For any yanks abroad still wishing to vote this is a useful site

No comments: